2 Beef, lean (Marinade
3 cl Ginger
½ in Ginger root
3 Chili, Thai
2 c Bay Leaves
½ c Vinegar
½ t Soy Sauce
¼ T Pepper, blk
1/3 c Stock
- Trim all fat, membranes, etc. from the BEEF (weight given is after trimming). Put all trimmings in a saucepan, bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Rinse and clean the pan. Put the beef back in with water just to cover and set to simmering to make stock. Do this as far ahead as practical. Strain, then defat the stock using your gravy separator.
- Cut Beef into cubes about 1-1/2 inches on a side or as desired.
- Crush GARLIC and chop fine. Slice GINGER very thin and slice into threads. Stem CHILIS and split open. Combine All Sauce items. in a non-reactive bowl, then stir in Beef. Marinate overnight in the fridge or 4 hours at a cool room temperature, tumbling now and then.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into cubes about 3/4 to 1 inch on a side. Put in a saucepan with water to cover and simmer until just done, about 20 minutes (see Note-5).
- Run – (1-1/2 to 2 hrs depending)
- Drain Beef well, retaining all the marinade.
- In a spacious coverable sauté pan or wok, heat Oil and fry Beef, tumbling often until it is lightly browned all over.
- Stir in Marinade and 1/3 cup Stock. Bring to a boil, cover tightly and simmer until beef is tender, 3/4 to 1 hour depending on cut.
- When Beef is tender, add Potatoes and enough stock to make a proper stew. Simmer until potatoes are heated through.
- Serve hot with plenty of steamed Jasmine rice.